This is a Recipe that is easy to follow and HEALTHY.
Time to Completion: 20-25min.
No cheese and pretty much only good fats (minus the egg yolk in the home made mayo) while remaining an “All in One” meal perfect for the summer time. The Steelhead Trout looks, acts, and tastes much like Salmon. However, with Salmon supplies getting low and costly this relatively unknown fish is starting to take a highlight and people are finding out that it tastes better too with less fatty content. People here in Chicago should really pay attention because we can get wild Steelhead fresh from Wisconsin and even Straight out of Lake Michigan during the cooler months instead of flying in Salmon which may have been frozen and beaten by time.
– Steelhead trout
– 1/2 Avocado
– 1/2 Lime
– Salsa Verde (use this recipe or buy the Trader Joes variety)
– Torta Bun or Assyrian Buns ( I prefer the Assyrian buns as the dough has a slight sourdough taste)
– 3-4 Tortilla Chips
– Onion Powder
– Garlic Salt
– Chipotle Pepper or Chili Powder
– Cajun Salt
– Home Made TA Mayo
– Lemon Juice
– Optional: Fresh Green Peppers and Lettuce (if your sandwich has space)
Cooking the Fish
1. Set the oven to pre-heat at 300 degrees (low heat prevents burns and makes it easy to not screw up)
2. Cut the Fish into 4-6oz pieces (depending on the level of hungry)
3. Rinse off and pat dry the fish with a paper towel
4. Place Fish (skin down) on a tray covered in Aluminum foil
5. Cover with Lemon Juice
6. Add the Onion Power/Cajun Seasoning/Chili Powder/Garlic Salt to taste
7. Throw in the oven and set the timer for 16-20min.
Making the Team Awesome Mayo (3-4min)
Ingredients for 2 servings:
– 1 Egg Yolk
– Olive Oil
– Garlic Salt
– Chipotle Powder
– Dijon Mustard
– Black Pepper
– Bowl and Whisk (required along with a strong arm)
1. Separate out 1 egg yolk and put it in the bowl
2. Start to beat the egg briskly
3. While beating the egg, string-in the olive oil in half teaspoon increments every 30 seconds till you have added appx. 2 teaspoons of oil
4. Keep beating that mayo and add in a pinch of each of the powders, one at a time.
5. Notice how it is really thickening up with the salt added, keep going and whip them for 2 min.
6. Fold in 1/2 teaspoon of Dijon Mustard
7. Taste it – awesome sauce, now put in the fridge until we use it.
Build the Base
1. Cut the bread if not precut
2. Use 1/4 of a lime and rub both inside pieces of bread (lime soak)
3. Cut the Avocado in Half and remove the pit by chucking your knife into it and popping it out
4. Spread out the half Avocado on the bottom piece of bread
5. Crush up 3-4 tortilla chips and place on top of the Avocado
6. Spread the TA Mayo on the top bun.
Your Oven Should Have Just Dinged!
MAKE THE SANDWICH!
1. Take the Fish out of the Oven, test for firmness and let rest for 1-2 min.
2. Bring over your sandwich base to the tray and cut the fillet into larger pieces for your sandwich (keep it juicy) and the skin will stick to the pan (self skinning an no fancy knife-work needed)
3. Put Fish on Bun
4. Cover with 3-4 tablespoons of the Salsa Verde
5. Serve with a quarter of lime (so that the eater can decide if he wants more lime – answer is always yes)
6. Eat with plenty of napkins. YUM!